Living in South Florida for over 7 years, I see people running all the time! For a while this used to make me a little jealous considering the thought of running outside made me tired just sitting from my lounge chair on the beach. However, I used to be a pretty avid treadmill runner and decided I wanted to start running outside. Now that I have gotten back into running, I wanted to share 5 tips that will make running more enjoyable and more effective for you!
1. Run at your own pace: If you are new to running or haven’t been outside once this spring to run, this one is especially for you. I used to be so nervous to run outside, and then I realized no one is putting a standard on how fast I have to go. When I first went out to go running I would jog at my own pace that felt good for me. As time went on this pace has increased. You should only be running because it’s fun for you! Run at a pace that keeps you wanting more and makes you smile to keep going. No one is judging you that drives by, I promise!
2. Keep your abs engaged: Just because you’re running doesn’t always mean you are getting the most of your workout. When running make sure to keep your abs pulled in! You will notice better results if you run slower with abs engaged than faster with an arched back and abs sticking out. This also makes running more fun because as you stay focused on keeping your abs pulled in, time starts to fly by!
3. Run without music: I know this one seems pretty crazy, but trust me on this one. I used to be one of those people who would leave the gym if I left my headphones at home therefore I totally understand. However, more recently I’ve been running without music and just listening to the sounds of nature. There is something to be said about listening to your own motivating thoughts to keep you going. Be in the moment!
4. Breakup your run: I’m a huge fan of breaking up my runs with a workout. I plan most of my runs so that I run to a designated location, stop to stretch and work out, then pick up my run again. You can always go out for a run with no breaks, but how fun is it to mix in some ab work in between!
5. Wear something that makes you feel great: Although this rule applies to many things in life, when it comes to running, wearing workout apparel that makes you feel great is a must! If you are looking your best you’re bound to have better runners form and more motivation to keep going! Plus you won’t be able to wait to get out there to show off your new stuff.
I hope you are excited to try some of these tips, as they have really helped me to enjoy running more. Try a few and let me know!